CONTENTS – Composting with Worms
Chapter 1. Why worm compost?
– The natural process of decomposition
– Compost heaps
– Benefits of vermicompost at a glance
– Vermicomposting vs. composting
– Responsible Waste Management
– Using a wormery: advantages at a glance
Chapter 2. The Biology of Earthworms
– What is a worm?
– Which worm do you want in your wormery?
Chapter 3. What?s living in the bin with the worms?
– Microscopic organisms – the microherds
– Macroscopic residents (or things we can see)
– Other residents and visitors
Chapter 4. How to make vermicompost
– Providing a suitable home
– The fabric of the bin
– Home-made bins
– Outdoor worm beds or pits
– Siting the worm bin
– Insulation of wormeries
– Keeping it all going
– What can go wrong?
Chapter 5. Review of commercially available worm bins
Chapter 6. Using worm compost
– Everyday practical uses of vermicompost
– For house and garden plants
– Use to enhance your soil
– Commercially available vermicompost and vermitea
Chapter 7. Frequently Asked Questions
– Intruders and community build-ups
– Worm issues
– Other management questions
– Food questions
– Vermicompost questions
Chapter 8. The varied roles and wider uses of vermicomposting
A Worm’s Menu
Stockists of worms and worm bins
References and selected bibliography